Hulking insect-men standing 7 feet at the shoulder, the thri-kreen are the least “human” of the player character races. Their survivability in the wilderness, combined with their cunning and intellect, have made the mantis warriors the undisputed masters across large tracts of the Athasian wastes.
The individual thri-kreen is a six-limbed creature with a tough, sandy-yellow exoskeleton. Its hind legs are used for walking, running, and leaping. The four forward limbs each have a hand with three fingers and an opposable thumb. A thri-kreen’s head has two large eyes, two antennae, and a small, powerful jaw. The jaws work from side to side and have small extensions that grab and manipulate food while it is being eaten. The eyes are jet black and multi-faceted, separated to either side of the head. The antennae are all but vestigial, serving only to help manoeuvre through brush and grasslands in the darkness. Thri-kreen have no need of sleep. Thri-kreen characters can remain active through the day and night.
Thri-kreen make and use a variety of weapons. Chief among them are the gythka, a polearm with wicked blades at either end, and the chatkcha, a crystalline throwing wedge. They also fashion many forms of clothing, but never wear armour.
The pack is the single unit of organization among the thri-kreen, generally having 2-24 individuals. The pack is always on the hunt for food. Thri-kreen are carnivores and consider the other player character races as potential food stock, but only prey on other intelligent creatures in times of desperation. The mantis warriors have a well-known taste for elves, which keeps both races at an uneasy peace when they are forced to cooperate.
To outsiders, thri-kreen sometimes seem overly preoccupied with gathering food, hunting, and maintaining stocks of travel food. Since they do not sleep, thri-kreen often hunt through the night while other races they are working with are “needlessly lying around”. Their pack intelligence also makes them protective of their clutch-mates. To a thri-kreen, his clutch or pack includes whoever he is with at the time of danger. It is instinctive for a thri-kreen to leap into battle to protect those he is with, regardless of personal danger.
The following game statistics apply to the thri-kreen player character:
- Ability Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom, -1 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
- Movement Rate: 18.
- Natural Armour: +5 natural armour bonus. Thri-kreen cannot wear armour.
- Claws and Bite: A thri-kreen can attack with any of its four claws not holding a weapon for 1d4 points of damage, and bite for 1d4+1 points of damage.
- Antennae: A thri-kreen’s antennae reduce penalties for darkness by one point.
- Leaping: From 3rd level a thri-kreen can leap 20’ upwards or 50’ forwards (but not backwards).
- Poison: From 5th level, thri-kreen develop poisonous saliva – any creature bitten must save vs. paralysation or be paralyzed; smaller than man-sized creatures are paralyzed for 2d10 rounds, man-sized for 2d8 rounds, and larger for 1d8 rounds. Huge or gargantuan creatures are only affected for one round.
- Chatkcha Expert: At 5th level the thri-kreen becomes proficient with the chatkcha, if not already.
- Dodge Missile: From 7th level a thri-kreen can dodge missile fire with a roll of 9 or higher on a d20.